Dear West Portal Lutheran Family of Faith:
As the city, state and nation move forward out of months of self-distancing into slowly once again physically gathering for community activities, we are also carefully looking at what our worship gatherings might look like. Please know that your safety and the safety of all who enter the West Portal Lutheran Church and School Campus is our highest priority.
We are monitoring the City and State reopening process over the next week, and we are planning to resume public worship services on Sunday, March 7 at 10:00 a.m. At this time, we will not be resuming Saturday worship services. PLEASE be aware that the resumption of public worship completely depends on the assurance of the health and safety of all worshippers. Please check the West Portal Lutheran Church Website westportallutheran.org for the latest updates or call the church office at 415-661-0242.
Based on the State recommendations for the reopening of a house of worship, the following steps have been taken to ensure public health and safety as much as possible:
- Deep cleaning of entire sanctuary prior to opening for worship.
- Hand sanitizer dispensers have been installed at all building entrances including the Church Sanctuary, Offices, Fellowship Hall and Music Room.
- All worshippers must wear a mask. Disposable masks will be available for those who don’t have them.
- Collection plates will be located in specific and easy to find positions in the sanctuary.
- Holy Communion will be offered.
- The Common Cup will be reserved for the Celebrant only at the Consecration.
- New communion trays utilizing disposable plastic cups will be used.
- Holy Communion will be continuous flow at the transept (bottom of Chancel steps). Pastors and Elders will sanitize hands prior to distribution.
- Please remember to wear masks during all services and meetings.
- No congregating, handshaking etc. in the Narthex prior to or after worship.
- We encourage the use of both entrances to the church: one in front of the office and one in front of the church.
- Coffee Fellowship after worship has been discontinued until further notice.
- Wednesday morning Bible Study will continue at 11:00AM on Zoom.
- Sunday Adult Bible Study and Children’s Sunday School continue to be suspended.
- As always Sunday Services will be recorded and made available via the West Portal Lutheran Church website especially for those who continue to be concerned about health risks resulting from large gatherings.
Our primary concern is the health, safety and especially the Spiritual welfare for all who worship at West Portal Lutheran Church. The timing of reopening for public worship will be dependent on the CDC public health and safety mandates, protocols and recommendations issued by the City of San Francisco and the State of California.
All future plans are contingent on what happens in the larger Bay area community over the next few weeks. Remember to check the West Portal Lutheran Church website or call the church office 415-661-0242 often for the latest updates on the status of re-opening for public worship and other congregational announcements.
As we continue to experience unprecedented life changes over the next few weeks and months, West Portal remains a vibrant and faithful witness of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in community.
+ Peace and Joy +
Rev. Curtis Binz Rev. J. Wayne Kerr Rich Hesselroth
Senior Pastor Associate Pastor Congregational President